2014年1月12日 星期日

[IOS] I/O Systems

Ch 13 I/O Systems

Ch 13.1 Overview

  • Explore the structure of an operating system’s I/O subsystem
  • Discuss the principles of I/O hardware and its complexity
  • Provide details of the performance aspects of I/O hardware and software

Ch 13.2 I/O Hardware

  • Incredible variety of I/O devices
  • Common concepts
    • Port
    • Bus (daisy chain or shared direct access)
    • Controller (host adapter)
  • I/O instructions control devices
  • Devices have addresses, used by
    • Direct I/O instructions
    • Memory-mapped I/O
A Typical PC Bus Structure
A Typical PC Bus Structure

13.2.1 Polling

  • Determines state of device
    • command-ready
    • busy
    • Error
  • Busy-wait cycle to wait for I/O from device

13.2.2 Interrupts

  • CPU Interrupt-request line triggered by I/O device
  • Interrupt handler receives interrupts
  • Maskable to ignore or delay some interrupts
  • Interrupt vector to dispatch interrupt to correct handler
    • Based on priority
    • Some nonmaskable
  • Interrupt mechanism also used for exceptions
    enter image description here

13.2.3 Direct Memory Access

  • Used to avoid programmed I/O for large data movement
  • Requires DMA controller
  • Bypasses CPU to transfer data directly between I/O device and memory
Six Step Process to Perform DMA Transfer
Six Step Process to Perform DMA Transfer

Ch 13.3 Application I/O Interface

  • I/O system calls encapsulate device behaviors in generic classes
  • Device-driver layer hides differences among I/O controllers from kernel
  • Devices vary in many dimensions
    • Character-stream or block
    • Sequential or random-access
    • Sharable or dedicated
    • Speed of operation
    • read-write, read only, or write only

13.3.1 Block and Character Devices

  • Block devices include disk drives
    • Commands include read, write, seek
    • Raw I/O or file-system access
    • Memory-mapped file access possible
  • Character devices include keyboards, mice, serial ports
    • Commands include get, put
    • Libraries layered on top allow line editing

13.3.2 Network Devices

  • Varying enough from block and character to have own interface
  • Unix and Windows NT/9x/2000 include socket interface
    • Separates network protocol from network operation
    • Includes select functionality
  • Approaches vary widely (pipes, FIFOs, streams, queues, mailboxes)

13.3.3 Clocks and Timers

  • Provide current time, elapsed time, timer
  • Programmable interval timer used for timings, periodic interrupts
  • ioctl (on UNIX) covers odd aspects of I/O such as clocks and timers

13.3.4 Blocking and Nonblocking I/O

  • Blocking - process suspended until I/O completed
    • Easy to use and understand
    • Insufficient for some needs
  • Nonblocking - I/O call returns as much as available
    • User interface, data copy (buffered I/O)
    • Implemented via multi-threading
    • Returns quickly with count of bytes read or written
  • Asynchronous - process runs while I/O executes
    • Difficult to use
    • I/O subsystem signals process when I/O completed

Ch 13.4 Kernel I/O Subsystem

  • Scheduling
    • Some I/O request ordering via per-device queue
    • Some OSs try fairness
  • Buffering - store data in memory while transferring between devices
    • To cope with device speed mismatch
    • To cope with device transfer size mismatch
    • To maintain “copy semantics”
  • Caching - fast memory holding copy of data
    • Always just a copy
    • Key to performance
  • Spooling - hold output for a device
    • If device can serve only one request at a time
    • i.e., Printing
  • Device reservation - provides exclusive access to a device
    • System calls for allocation and deallocation
    • Watch out for deadlock
Error Handling
  • OS can recover from disk read, device unavailable, transient write failures
  • Most return an error number or code when I/O request fails
  • System error logs hold problem reports
I/O Protection
  • User process may accidentally or purposefully attempt to disrupt normal operation via illegal I/O instructions
    • All I/O instructions defined to be privileged
    • I/O must be performed via system calls
  • Memory-mapped and I/O port memory locations must be protected too
Kernel Data Structures
  • Kernel keeps state info for I/O components, including open file tables, network connections, character device state
  • Many, many complex data structures to track buffers, memory allocation, “dirty” blocks
  • Some use object-oriented methods and message passing to implement I/O

Ch 13.5 Transforming I/O Requests to Hardware Operations

  • Consider reading a file from disk for a process:
    • Determine device holding file
    • Translate name to device representation
    • Physically read data from disk into buffer
    • Make data available to requesting process
    • Return control to process

Ch 13.6 STREAMS

  • STREAM – a full-duplex communication channel between a user-level process and a device in Unix System V and beyond
  • A STREAM consists of:
    • STREAM head interfaces with the user process
    • driver end interfaces with the device
    • zero or more STREAM modules between them .
  • Each module contains a read queue and a write queue
  • Message passing is used to communicate between queues
    enter image description here

Ch 13.7 Performance

  • I/O a major factor in system performance:
    • Demands CPU to execute device driver, kernel I/O code
    • Context switches due to interrupts
    • Data copying
    • Network traffic especially stressful
Improving Performance
  • Reduce number of context switches
  • Reduce data copying
  • Reduce interrupts by using large transfers, smart controllers, polling
  • Use DMA
  • Balance CPU, memory, bus, and I/O performance for highest throughput
Reference: Operating System Concepts 8th, by Silberschatz, Galvin, Gagne

沒有留言:

張貼留言